By now you’ve probably at least heard about the website Groupon. More than likely you’ve probably already even bout a groupon for yourself or as a gift for someone else. (If you haven’t noticed, you can now see today’s Groupon over on the right sidebar ===> )
But if you’ve really never heard of Groupon.com – it’s basically a website that features daily deals, specific to various large cities. For example, customers can purchase a $20 gift certificate to a local restaurant for half price.
Groupon is currently available in over 150 markets. I think it’s a great way to introduce yourself to new restaurants and businesses within a city, without having to take a huge hit on your pocket book. I’ve purchased several groupons for myself (and as gifts) for restaurants that I would probably have never visited on my own. It’s a good way to market smaller businesses or hard to find places.
If you are living on a tight budget and you don’t got the chance to eat out often, buying a Pittsburgh Groupon can be a good way to get out of the house without spending a ton of money.
As a matter of fact, Josh Stevens aka the Groupawn – lived an entire year off of Groupons alone. You can read more about his story at Live Off Groupon. I’d advise against that extreme.
Pittsburgh Groupons That I’ve Purchased
These are just a few places I’ve bought Groupons for in the past while living in Pittsburgh:
Groupons I’ve bought in the past include:
- Casa Del Sole Pizza – Awesome little pizza place in Aspinwall. Great hoagies too. Never would have found this place without my Groupon.
- Cuzamil Restaurante – As much as I love Mexican, I can’t say that I loved this place.
- Peak Ski and Snowboard – Got a great deals on tuning up my skis for the winter that turned out to be not much of a winter.
- Pizza Parma – Good pizza. Bad service. They wouldn’t honor our Groupon after they rung it up incorrectly.
- All American Baseball – Awesome indoor baseball facility.
- Beer Nutz Bottle Shop – Nice little place to grab a beer and some bar food, while watching sports. Located on Freeport Rd near Fox Chapel area.
Other Sites Like Groupon
With the success of Groupon, other similar sites have popped up. The most notable one is probably Living Social. I’ve never personally bought from Living Social but I’ve heard great things from others on Twitter.